Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Just cause you feel it...doesn't mean it's there

The other night, I talked to both of my fake boyfriends right before I went to sleep. First one, then the next, so similar and yet so different. As I fell asleep, it suddenly struck me that it might be weird to have fake boyfriends. Whether we be planning fake future lives together (FB#2) or cautiously avoiding all mention of the subject (FB#1), it still might qualify as a big mess. In spite of all my bluster, I'm an easily persuaded young lady. Is it really such a good idea for me to inhabit these elaborate fantasy relationships (whether they be a conscious fantasy or an inability to let go)?

On the flip side, FB#2 argues that fake relationships function much better for him than any real relationships he's been in recently. And I must admit that each of these fake relationships make me pretty happy, in their own way. If I need to feel attractive, or witty, or even just amused, both are readily available. I don't owe either one of them anything that it's not in my power to give. At the end of the day, both are my dear friends. I guess this all comes back to the old "can women and men Really be friends" question. I'd argue passionately for yes, but most guys I know think that's a fantasy. And the fact that I need to call these friends of mine fake boyfriends, instead of just friends, might prove me false. So, dear Reader, what do you think? Can women and men truly be just friends?

2 comments:

FastTrakStatus said...

i think you're talking about social norms here. clearly it's plausable for men and women to coexist as friends and/or coworkers. i mean, you and i are friends, right? that seems to work out.

after all, most people who hold that very belief just stole it from billy crystal and meg ryan.** however, i think they spoke more in terms of the implications of sexual attraction or lack thereof ... but that's neither here nor there.

the point is i most certainly believe it's possible for it to happen, it's just not a 'classic' belief. maybe people should just call a spade a spade, recognize that society does evolve and admit that there are plenty of heterosexual men and women engaging in perfectly healthy friendships.

then again, i went to architecture school.

dr. corbin schlesinger.

ps > i spent my lunch break writing this drivel.

**i'm really resisting asking another question to your question ... something along the lines of 'so does life imitate art' but i'm not. maybe i am.

Anonymous said...

men and women can be friends....



thank you for being a friend....


"the 'golden girls' theme is playing in the background"