Thursday, May 24, 2007

Existence Validated - Yessss

Because it had the word story in it, I read it. Because I was at work, I read it in pieces. I love to read the NYTimes each day at my desk: I feel like it's healthy for my vocabulary (yet to see that payout) and good to stay connected, even if it is a slanted connection. Today, "This is Your Life (and How You Tell It)" was the fourth-most emailed article on the online version of their paper. Obviously, the title intrigued me as a nonfiction writer.

When I read the following, I rushed to the blog, eager to show my 6 readers the importance of memoir:
When we first started studying life stories, people thought it was just idle curiosity — stories, isn’t that cool?” said Dan P. McAdams, a professor of psychology at Northwestern and author of the 2006 book, “The Redemptive Self.” “Well, we find that these narratives guide behavior in every moment, and frame not only how we see the past but how we see ourselves in the future."

Maybe it isn't so strange that I find myself waking up and narrating the details of my surroundings in my head, generally in third person (meta-writing, eat your heart out). However, the article turned out to be mostly about the use of stories in psychoanalysis. Interesting enough. Everyone loves to tell their life stories, but it turns out that the manners in which we tell these stories are patterned enough to show similarities between healing habits of subjects. Your stories and your health: on the next 20/20.


In music news, my opinion that the Eagles are the most over-rated band ever is validated by Wilco. Check it out on Spinner.

8 comments:

Tom Drew said...

Thanks for providing the impetus for an Eagles blog.

MW said...

Who are the other 5 readers?

Anonymous said...

I've also always hated the eagles. Its comforting to know my music idol Jeff Tweedy agrees.
-P.S. I hope you didnt buy the new wilco cd because its one of the 75 albums i burned for you.

Anonymous said...

"Come on, man. I had a rough night and I hate the f-in' Eagles, man!"

-me


On a side note, I recomend bying the cd as it comes with a dvd, showing live versions of the songs. Far out man...

Ermasmit said...

Everyone used to think I was a freak for hating the Eagles...so now I like them. Shit.

Ermasmit said...

Oh, and PS - Why is it that out of that entire post everyone is focusing on the last sentence only?

Tom Drew said...

I noticed that, too. It definitely goes to show that the Eagles are a rather polarizing force. C'mon Beth, respond! Give us what we want! All Eagles, all the time! Er, wait...

Helen E said...

So my readers only want to hear me talk about the Eagles... that makes me a little sick to my stomach.

Oh, and Anonymous, you keep name-dropping these 75 CDs, but have I seen them yet? No. Let's make it 74, because of course I bought "Sky Blue Sky!"