Monday, July 2, 2007

I think she said "feck"

Saturday night, I came home about an hour before bar close to relieve my stomach of the Kelly's/Joe's pizza that I'd just eaten. I crawled into bed feeling vaguely unsettled, with a beer/pizza/taco/thai curry combo that was rather unpleasant.



I turned on the TV (my nighttime boyfriend) only to hear... Alvin and the Chipmunks! "Christmas Time is Here" is one of my favorite carols, and I knew that it could only mean one thing: Almost Famous was on TV.



Being tired, I tuned in for about the first twenty minutes. I realized how fantastic that set-up was, despite any flaws in the rest of the film (and by flaws, I mean Kate Hudson. Kate Hudson is not good on an unsettled stomach). Crowe took Frances McDormand (always amazing) and paired her with Zooey Deschanel (spelling?) - what a duo. Then, he pairs Philip Seymour Hoffman (maybe my favorite working actor) with the fictional Lester Bangs character. Delicious. And he manages to play nearly all of Simon and Garfunkel's "America," as well as "Sparks" by the Who, some Iggy Pop, and, of course, Alvin and the Chipmunks.

"The only true currency we have in this bankrupt world are the things we say to each other when we're being uncool." Not bad for 3am on a Saturday.

1 comment:

Tom Drew said...

God, I love that movie, precisely because it's a feel-good movie. It's often described as a "love letter," and I think that fits.

I, for one, quite like Kate Hudson. Something about her portrayal of Penny Lane has always filled me with happiness. Every time she's onscreen, I smile. Except when she's having her stomach pumped to a Stevie Wonder soundtrack. (I've also never seen her in another film, and will likely keep it that way.)

Have you seen the bonus features on the special edition DVD? There's a two-minute clip of Lester Bangs being interviewed on TV. It's to drool for.

And you had quite the night of international cuisine. I'm jealous.