Monday, February 4, 2008

Politicking

I read the blog below this morning, and it strikes something that's been bothering me for awhile, so I decided to share it. Let me preface my introduction of it by saying that I still haven't decided which Democratic candidate I'm voting for in the primaries tomorrow (though, let's face it, Obama will more than likely win Illinois). It's been hard for me to decide, and so, in true Bethian fashion, I've put it off. I find both Clinton and Obama appealing in very different ways, but from the minimal reading I've done it looks like they have a lot in common, policy-wise.

However, my decision-making process has been hampered by an intense anger at "Hillary bashing." I hear from friends, or fellow students, or family members that Hillary is "evil," Hillary is "crazy." There is a flipping facebook group called "One Million Strong against Hillary Clinton" (or something similar, I can't remember). Last summer, when I saw that my old roommate had joined this group, I laid into him. "Why," I wanted to know, "must you hate someone? Can't you instead find some other candidate to support? What good will hating her accomplish?" Obviously, it's too late for such arguments in the world of televised ads and debates. Our system has made itself into a monster of criticism. Fine.

But here's my theory: Hillary Clinton is, above all else, a politician. She's smart, she's shrewd, and she's been in or around politics for a very long time. The public and the media attack her for a variety of behaviors, but aren't these simply the behaviors of male politicians which we've seen for years? Example: she is often called "calculating." I'd agree that "calculating" is not a flattering attribute. However, I also think that any politician around is going to be "calculating." Hillary Clinton is being attacked for normal politican behaviors because she's a woman. I think that deep down, we've all coached ourselves to believe that women aren't like that. And so it makes me angry. Please read (or skim, or whatever) the blurb below. Think it over. And don't forget to vote!

(Side note: perhaps H Clinton's behavior is doubly noticeable because she's running against a candidate who is so highly un-political, who presents an image of the idealist for the first time in a long time. Just a thought.)

http://fish.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/03/all-you-need-is-hate/

3 comments:

Number Ten said...

your lavender blog makes me nostalgic for my bedroom in 4th grade

Anonymous said...

Putting aside for the moment what your lavender blog reminds ME of...

You're right about so many things here, especially that last thought. Obama shines not because he envisions a dramatically different world than Clinton, but because so many people want something big to believe in, and it's hard to believe in calculation.

FastTrakStatus said...

yep, it's friday night and i'm reading blogs. ol corbo's stock is sinking fast.

it's safe to say i'm pleased to read this post simply because i feel exactly the same towards people who support obama simply because they loathe hillary - for non-political reasons, no less. hillary is just as passionate, just as qualified, and would be just as effective as barack. it's just a shame that a large portion of his "supporters" are motivated by just as much hatred as they claim they are opposed to in the first place.

that being said, i plan on canvassing tomorrow in portland for barack. at least one of them is coming to oregon.