Monday, June 9, 2008

If you can't stand the heat...

Wait a few days, and it will rain.

My roommate left on a turbulent Weds. I say turbulent because I had quite a Tuesday, and some of it leaked over into Weds. She is traveling in Central America/Cuba for two months, and I find myself in a strange predicament: living alone. I haven't yet reached the one week mark, but it seems weird to come home and know that she won't be there. I have two goals: don't overdo it on the TV, and keep the place clean. These seem like reasonable goals, since a few sets of visitors will keep the clean thing motivated, and the TV is taking a backseat to my massive summer reading list. The strangest part is waking up in the morning, getting ready for work, heading to work, working all day - and not talking to anyone, through all of that. I'm not counting a thank you to the bus driver or an awkward "Good morning" to the person leaving the bathroom as I enter.

I don't think I do well without telling people even a sampling of what's in my head. In Chicago, it's so bizarre to think of the zillions of people around you, and not exchanging thoughts with any of them! (It's probably fortunate, as well, but that's another point altogether.) Does everyone need this weird personal validation of existence?

Speaking of validating existence, finals are almost over and I feel crazed about the grade I'm going to end up with from my eccentric essay professor. He and I have had interesting interactions lately, and I can't tell if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I'm leaning toward good, but I don't know if that will end up as good as the A I want.

And with the end of finals, a whole summer of guilt-free living. I can go see movies, or read novels, or spend time being lazy with friends, and I won't have to feel guilty about not doing homework. What a thrilling life I lead. I can't wait to initiate myself to Chicago by going to the lake's beaches and attending free concerts at Millenium Park's Pritzker Pavilion. I think I can handle even a Wagner symphony if I get to stretch out on the lawn with a bottle of wine.

No comments: